Quinoa Salad loaded with Fava beans, fresh peas and Balsamic Vinaigrette
Hope everyone had a lovely long weekend, mine was absolutely perfect. Dinner with girl friends, hikes with friends and get together with newly formed friends and their families could not have wished for anything else. However in more than a decade that I lived in US this is the first time ever that it rained on Memorial Day, really strange weather.
Made this for salad over the holiday weekend, we have a small farmers market every Sunday next to our home and this week could not resist Fava beans, fresh peas and carrot. Found a recipe for Balsamic Vinaigrette and then next thing you know had a scrumptious salad lunch, so filling and delicious .
1 cup boiled quinoa
1 cup of shelled Fava beans
1 cup shelled fresh peas
1/2 cup fresh carrot grated and cubed
1 cup fresh lettuce shredded finely
1/4 cup red onion diced finely
1/4 cup garbanzo beans (optional)
1/4 cup feta cheese
For balsamic vinaigrette (source Amazon
1/4 cup cashew pieces
2 tbsp shallots
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tspn agave nectar
pinch of salt
few pinches of fresh black pepper
Process for balsamic vinaigrette
1. Grind cashews and shallots together in a food processor, then add the rest of the ingredients and blend till all the ingredients are well mixed.
2. Transfer into a container and refrigerate till ready to serve.
For roasting fava beans , peas and carrot
1. Heat a pan add tbsp olive oil
2. When oil gets warn add Fava beans, peas and cubed carrots
3. Add couple of tbsp of water and salt and cooked covered for about 5 minutes till beans turn tender.
4.Once cooked remove the cover and saute till beans caramelize.
5. Remove from heat and keep aside.