Aloo Methi - Potatoes With Fenugreek
Ahhhhh finally summer break for kids is here, it feels amazing to go home and put your feet up and drink a cup of tea without having to worry about home works ,tests , lunch for next day and most importantly driving kids around for classes I tell you summer vacation is a bliss not just for kids but parents too. Looking forward to spending some quality time with kids and relaxing.
Today's recipe is a staple across India, I was surprised that I haven't blogged about it yet. Fenugreek/Methi/Menthi is a herb widely used though it tastes bitter when eaten raw, it's completely transformed when sauteed.
1 bunch of fresh fenugreek leaves – washed and chopped finely
4 medium sized potatoes
½ cup finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1 red onion finely chopped
1 tbsp finely diced ginger
1 tbsp finely diced garlic
1 tbsp green chilies finely diced
2 tbsp kasoori methi (dry fenugreek)
½ tspn mustard seeds
½ tspn jeera
½ tbsp. garam masala
1/2 tbsp haldi/tumeric
2 tbsp of olive oil
Salt according to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and when it gets hot add mustard seeds, jeera , kasoori meth, turmeric ,garlic and ginger and saute for few seconds.
2. Now add diced onions and fry till try turn golden brown
3. add chopped fenugreek leaves and saute for about 3 minutes
4. To the above add cubed potatoes, salt, garam masala to mix till potatoes are well coated.
5. Add few tbsp of water and cook covered for five minutes till potatoes are soft and well cooked.
6. Adjust for salt and serve hot.