Thursday, June 9, 2011

Spilling The Beans - Healthy , Protein Packed Three Bean Rice Pilaf

Spilling The Beans - Healthy , Protein Packed Three Bean Rice Pilaf



Today was the last day of school for the kids  I always have mixed feelings about it, glad that its summer break  but fear the fact that kids are growing up faster than I would want them too and then one day move out to college, technically that's a long time away but still its a constant reminder to make the best use of time when they are around.





Today's recipe is inspired after my visit to Costco , I rarely buy food from Costco it just seems too much for a family of four. The fact I stumble to temptation and buy food results in throwing out which I am seriously against. Anyways long story short ended up buying the sprouted three beans mix, its a mix of Moong dal,adzuki and lentils, loved the fact that these beans have been sprouted which makes is very easy to use since they get tenderize in less than 15 minutes.  I can totally see myself finishing the packet or I hope so ...

Ingredients
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup mixed beans ( soaked for about 15 minutes)
1 cup of mixed vegetables chopped finely ( I used peas& carrot, can add cauliflower florets,potatoes etc..)
1 red onion finely diced
cup of diced almonds ( substitute with cashews or other nuts of your choice)
For seasoning/thadka
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
Few bay leaves
6-8 cloves
Few cardamom pods
½ tsp. fennel seeds
½ tsp. ginger garlic paste (optional)
½ tsp. ghee/ clarified butter ( I know ,I know it’s supposed to be a healthy recipe)
salt according to taste





Beans before and after being soaked in warm water for 15 minutes.


Process
1. Soak bean mix in water for about 15 minutes
2. While bean are being soaked, heat a pan add tbsp of ghee and 1 tbsp of oil and when oil get warm add all the seasoning ingredients and saute for few minutes, you can smell the aroma from the seasoning.
3. Add onions and saute till they turn golden brown.
4. Now add peas and carrot ,soaked beans and rice, mix well till every rice grain is well coated.
5. Add salt and now transfer the mixture into a rice cooker, add one and half cups of water and allow to cook.




Once cooked serve hot with Raita, I really loved the texture and flavor it was just plain delicious.


You can substitute quinoa for rice and it will make for an excellent healthier version of the same.

14 comments:

Chitra said...

protein rich and healthy meal...looks tasty too..

AnjasFood4Thought said...

This looks absolutely delicious. If all goes well, I'll make this for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing.

arundati said...

this looks terrific. am going to try this.






Dr.Sameena Prathap
said...

The colourful and healthy meal looks yummy and inviting...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

Sensible Vegetarian said...

This looks so delicious and protein rich bowl

Suparna said...

love this king of health packed rice items....good one sree, love the clicks as always!!

AlwaysHappyKya said...

Thank you so much for this recipe!

My husband brought home this trio bean bag from costco last week and since then been wondering what recipe will put it to good use. This seems delicious and pretty easy too.

One question though - Did you add the soaked trio bean into the cooker too? I did not see that mentioned..

Sreelu said...

thanks all for your lovely comments.

@alwaysrightkya, thanks for pointing out, edited post. You add soaked beans to the rice and allow to boil. If you try it would love to hear how it turned out.

Sharmilee! :) said...

Sure a healthy one!

Claire said...

You have an informative blog. I’ve learned something from it. I do have mine too www.claire-fernandez.blogspot.com... thanks

AlwaysHappyKya said...

Hey Sreelu,

Came back here to say - thanks for the inspiration. I did try out this recipe and loved it ! :)

I cooked the trio bean as per instructions on the bag though ( boil in water and let it stay for 10 minutes) and was so happy to see they cooked easy and fast :)

Sreelu said...

AHK, thats so cool, next time send me a pic would love to show case it.

Patricia Torres said...

this one.. is far too healthy for my likes.. *smiles*

Sailaja said...

made this rice today with brown rice and posted in my blog linking back to your post.

Thanks for the recipe

 
Web Statistics