Channa Masala- Chole - Spicy Garbanzo Beans
With parents visiting me it feels amazing coming home from work to parents and sitting down with a cup of tea and catching up on stuff. Have been eating mom made stuff and some of those taste no matter how hard I try can never come close to mom's. Truly enjoying my summer and kids are having a blast with their grandparents.
Today's recipe is one of India's staple sabji/curry. Hearty and tasty goes excellent with roti's/poories.
1 cup of garbanzo beans soaken overnight/ 2 canned garbanzo beans
2 medium size Potatoes ,peeled and cubed
1 big tomato cut into small cubes
2 red onions sliced thinly
2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp Red chilli powder
2 tbsp Channa Masala ( I used MDH Channa masala)
1 tbsp amchur powder (dried mango powder) optional
1 tbsp Turmeric (Haldi)
Juice of 1 lemon
1.Pressure cook soaked beans and potato add salt and tumeric/haldi.
2. In a separate pan add 2 tbsp oil , add tumeric and ginger garlic paste add onions and fry till onions turn translucent
3. Now add tomatoes , channa masala powder ,amchur powder, red chilli powder and pepper
4. Add boiled garbanzo beans ,keep aside a small cup of boiled beans
5. Grind the small cup of beans into a fine paste
6. Add the above paste to the rest of channa and allow to cook for few minutes add water if channa seems to thick
7. Allow to cook covered for about 6-8 minutes till channa soaks up all the masala flavors
7. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and garnish with coriander
Serve hot with Poori's/Roti. This is a favorite at home.
On a personal note kids have been painting during their break and below are the two stone painting created during the last few weeks at home.
Turtle by my 9 year old
Nemo by my 7 year old
I wish I could go back in time and relive my summer vacation those days filled with noting but play and fun. Happy summer everyone !!