Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Spicy Pepper Coconut Yellow Thai Curry

Spicy Pepper Coconut Yellow Thai Curry


Last few days before school starts it seems like calm before the storm, enjoyed the last few months without having the pressure of drop off’s and pick ups, few more days before the start of vicious cycle.

This summer has been fun and relaxing got a chance to spend some quality time with parents and family, mom is going to leave in few days and I am already sad about it, but glad that she was able to spend time with us. Did quite a bit of shopping with my mom last few weeks we explored quite a lot of restaurants, malls and all my favorite stores and one of them being Trader Joe’s, I am a huge fan of TJ’s picked up Yellow Thai curry sauce and yesterday after ages got a chance to cook something for my mom and decided to spruce up the yellow curry sauce with pepper and coconut, so here goes the recipe ...




Ingredients

 *   1 can of coconut milk coconut milk
 *   1 big tbsp. of freshly ground pepper
 *   1-cup yellow curry paste/sauce (My recommendation Trader Joes Thai Yellow curry sauce)
 *   1 small cup potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
 *   2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
 *   1 small onion, chopped
*   1 small zucchini, chopped
 *   1 small cup of broccoli cut into small florets
 *   1/2 red/green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped into small pieces
 *   1 Thai chili optionally Jalapeno
 *   ½ cup green onions
 *   1 cup of Thai basil
 1 big tbsp freshly grounded pepper

Process

1.      Bring the coconut milk and yellow curry paste to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until smooth, about 1 minute. If the mixture seems thick add little bit water to thin it out.
2.      Add the potato, carrots, zucchini,onion, bell pepper, broccoli, and chili, basil sprigs and pepper.
3.      Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
4.      Remove the lid and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.




Remove from heat and serve hot over steamed hot rice.


Mom really loved thai curry and I am so glad I tried it .....

17 comments:

Neha@ Allthingsbeautiful said...

I love thai food. I tried cooking thai just once long back and it turned out to be not so good...maybe I'll try your recipe this time.

Do check out this on my blog:

http://allthingzbeautiful.blogspot.com/2011/08/favorite-food-blogs.html

Sharmilee! :) said...

Wow yummy looking curry

Happy Cook / Finla said...

I love love thai curry, and this looks so so good, love the bowl you have served too. Sounds like you had a fabulous time with your mom beeing there. Here too it is summer holidays and enjoying haveing shyama the whole time at home.

Pavani said...

I love TJ's Yellow curry paste.. Gives so much flavor to curries without having to sweat on making the paste ourselves. Love your chopped veggies--awesome knife skills :-)
Curry looks delicious.

Prathima Rao said...

A yummy, mouthwatering curry!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

chinmayie said...

I love Thai curry! this one looks so colorful an beautiful! I am sure it's tasty too :)
New here! You have a great blog:)

Kadhyaa... said...

first time here and love your blog with lovely clicks and yummy foods

Tes said...

Look delicious :) It makes me miss home :)

Sarah Catherine said...

Looks very good, nice pictures. And I like that you're not using fish sauce. It's probably the one thing I actually don't like!

dwidlebug said...

Oh dear... I hate saying goodbye. I remember when my parent was here, it wasn't easy to see them go:(
anyway your dish successfully make me hungry.

notyet100 said...

Luv ur new header,curry looks delicious

kankana said...

the thai curry looks lovely and I am HUGE Thai cuisines fan :)

Taste Junction said...

There's something comforting yet exotic about Thai curries. Nice pics, especially the ingredients hot which is so cheerful!!

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

This looks delicious!! I am your newest follower.

Ashley
www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

Adam said...

Did you mean 1 cup of Trader Joe's yellow curry SAUCE? Big difference between SAUCE and PASTE for this recipe. Considering Trader Joe's does not make a yellow curry PASTE, I assume you mean SAUCE. I learned the hard way on this one, which is why you always need to pay attention to details.

Sreelu said...

Adam,

Thanks for pointing out, I did use TJ's curry sauce and have update the recipe accordingly.

Sreelu

Anonymous said...

We made this for our Missions banquet at our church, international dinner of sorts.......was a big hit and so yummy!! I WILL make this again!!

 
Web Statistics