Summer vacation for kids is almost coming to an end well in three weeks, this summer sure has been a busy one with parents visiting time seems to fly by even faster. My parents are awesome cooks both my mom and dad, they are very open to trying out new cuisines, new ingredients and are a very sportive, We have pigged out on restaurants quite a bit we have had few good hits and few misses either way experience was much relished err cherished.
My dad is an creative cook he can come up ideas which I can never think of whereas my mom is well organized and methodical , she can cook for a crowd in no time and show no sign of stress or pressure. Few weeks back we had few friends over for dinner and mom made today’s recipe , fresh tender eggplants added so much more flavor to the dish.
It sure is time taking to prepare the dish but let me tell you end result is well worth the effort ..
Feeds about 4-6 people
Fresh Ingredients1 lb. of tender eggplants/brinjal/aubergine cut into cubes o about an inch
2-3 green chilies adjust according to taste
About 2 cups of coriander/cilantro
2tbsp or about a size of quarter tamarind
1 bunch of green onions (optionally)
1/2 cup of fresh mint leaves (optional)
about an inch of ginger crushed
Dry ingredients to be ground into fine powder3 tbsp. channa dal
2 tbsp. urad dal
2 tbsp. dhania – coriander seeds
4-5 red chilies
About 1/3 cup grated coconut
1/3 cup roasted peanuts
¼ tbsp. of fenugreek seeds/methi seeds
Pinch of hing
For seasoning1 tbsp. urad dal
1 tbsp. jeera
1 tbsp. mustard seeds
About 10-15 curry leaves
Pinch of hing
Choice of nuts like cashew/peanuts/almonds
1 cardamom/elachi pod
2-3 cinnamon barks
2 star anise
4-5 tbsp. of oil
For Rice1 cup rice ( Used regular sona masoori, basmati rice would be just fine too, any type that does not get sticky works best)
Salt according to taste
About a tbsp. of turmeric
1. Boil rice in a rice cooker, add couple of tbsp. of oil which will make rice grain non sticky
2. While rice is cooking, heat a skillet and dry roast all the dry ingredients mentioned for about a minute or two until you smell a strong aroma.
3. Grind the above into a fine powder and keep aside4. Now heat a skillet add 3-4 tbsp. of oil, when oil gets hot add all the ingredients mentioned for seasoning, sauté till mustard seeds start to splutter.
5. Now add sliced green chilies, brinjal and green onions.
6. Add salt ,tamarind ,turmeric and freshly ground masala powder.7. Toss all the vegetables till well coated add few sprinkles of water and cook closed for about 6-8 minutes stirring in between till egg plants are tender and well cooked.
8. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.
9. Now let the rice cool down to room temperature, add the cooked eggplant mixture and mix gently will every grain of rice is well coated.
10. Add oil if required and garnish with coriander and serve hot.
I can tell you this will be really awaken your taste buds and make you crave for more, no kidding….