Roasted Sweet Potato Curry Soup
It is a chili evening here in the bay area and after a weekend full of gastronomic indulgence sunday evening called for a simple and warm dinner, this weekend has been a fun one, dance the night away to Dandia and Garba with good friends, attended few kids parties and spent a lovely and meaningful evening with some of my very close friends, only with each meeting to realize how truly similar we are in thinking and acting, I seriously consider them as a blessing in my life and these friends make my life so much more richer and fun. Sunday was family day, painted with kids for a while and we sat down for a quite early dinner. Picked up some really good sourdough bread from farmers market today morning and wanted to put it use so what better way then to dip it in the warm comforting roasted curried soup.
Roasted curried soup is very simple few ingredient and delicious the only time it takes is for the sweet potato to be roasted in the oven, once it's roasted rest all is a breeze.Addition of Garam masala add spiciness and flavor to the otherwise bland soup.
Makes about 4 cups
5 medium sized sweet potatoes
2 cups milk
1/4th tbsp of butter
tbsp of crushed garlic
tbsp of Garam masala
salt according to taste
pinch of freshly ground pepper
tbsp of Balsamic vinegar aa topping, I used Blood orange balsamic vinegar from weolive.com
1. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Slit sweet potates length wise and spray with pam or olive oil.
3. Warp the potatoes in a foil and allow them to roast in the over for about 30 minutes.
4. Once roasted peel the skin off and keep aside
5. Heat butter in a soup pan, when butter melts add garlic and saute till garlic is roasted and then add Garam masala and give it a quick stir.
6. Now add roasted sweet potatoes and mash them using a end of your ladle or a potato masher.
7. Add two cups of milk and mix well, kids like the soup with creamy texture so I used hand blender and blended it smooth .
8 Add salt and pepper according to taste and allow the soup to boil for about 2-3 minutes, remove from heat and serve hot with balsamic dressing on the top with side of good bread in my case sourdough.
I had visited the Weolive store a while ago and picked up their blood orange flavored balsamic vinegar and trust me it so full of flavor and deliciousness, if you stumble upon the store stop by and check out delicious offerings of Olive oils.