Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cracked Wheat Upma With Cherry Tomatoes

Cracked Wheat Upma With Cherry Tomatoes

Finally it's here the week I wait for the whole year, looking forward to the short week and much needed break, last few days at work have been quite stressful not to mention very busy. Looking forward to winding down this week. Had a fabulous dinner with neighbors this saturday  chatted till the wee hours of Sunday and Sunday was perfectly relaxed one spending time with a very dear friend had lovely tea and yummiest  snacks one can ask for.  Some friends are such though you don't catch up on a regular basis but when you do you feel the connection and the warmth instantly.

Today's recipe comes from my doctors inspiration/suggestion. We here have a provision to go for a yearly check up via my insurance yet I am always lazy to find time to go get one. Eventually had to force myself to get one after years.  So doctor gives the standard advice eat healthy, exercise for 20 min every day, no sweets and fried food and blah blah and blah and she ends with the statement "remember you are not getting any younger " that struck hard and realized that the advice she gave is supposed to taken seriously. That said she gave a comprehensive list of food and portion control to be eaten . One such suggestion was cracked wheat, as a kid I would throw up with the thought of having to eat cracked wheat and that stuck with me for a long long time until I slowly making it a part of my diet.

Ingredients

1 cup cracked wheat
about a cup or two of vegetables  ( peas, carrots,beans, corn, cauliflower florets,tomatoes)
1 cup of cherry tomatoes slit length wise
For seasoning
1 tbsp channa dal
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp jeera
10-15 curry leaves
2-3 green chilies
handful of peanuts/cashews/blanched and sliced almonds
2 tbsp of oil
salt according to taste

Process
1, Heat two tbsp of oil in pan that can be pressure cooked,when oil gets hot add all the seasoning ingredients and saute for 30-45 secs.
2. Add two cups of water and vegetables and allow water to come to full boil, add salt.
3. Add cracked wheat to boiling water, mix well. I usually spray pam this allows upma to be dry rather than sticky goop.
4. Now transfer to the pressure cooker and allow the cracked wheat upma to cook  till two whistles.
5. Allow cooker to cool and once cooled  mix the upma well and serve piping hot.

Serve with a drizzle of lemon juice. According to my doctor this is an excellent source of protein,iron and fiber and keeps you full for a long time which I have to agree.

Try quinoa version of the same here 

So here's to short week and wishing a happy week !!

7 comments:

Spandana said...

Delicious!! I make this too, the only variation is I add a tsp of Kitchen King or Garam Masala!!!
Nice Pics!

kitchen queen said...

droolworthy upma

Anisha said...

healthy and delicious too... love the pictures!

Prathima Rao said...

Healthy, fresh, colorful upma!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Anu said...

delicious colorful upma
http://hotpotmeal.blogspot.com

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

YUM -- upma is definitely one of my favorites :). Also wanted to let you know I replied on my blog in response to your comment about Katie's photo. Hope it helps...

Hari Chandana said...

Wowww... Looks super delicious and perfect.. love the presentation to.. :)
Indian Cuisine

 
Web Statistics