Dum Aloo - Baby Potatoes Simmered In Rich Creamy Gravy
It's been a busy busy year so far on all fronts ,time to blog sure seems like a luxury. Today was the kind of day where head and heart were not in sync and I needed to be just by myself ,sometime a little ME time in the middle of week is all that is required to keep my sanity.
Today's recipe was in draft since summer, made this during my uncle and aunts visit.
This recipe sure takes time to prepare but the end result is so well worth all the effort.
About a 1lb of Small Potaotes, I used store brought frozen baby potatoes
Ingredients for Gravy
1/2 cup of cashews
1/2 cup almonds
1/3 cup golden raisins
pinch of methi/fenugreek seeds
tbsp of kasoori methi
about 1inch of cinammon bark
tbsp of peppercorns
1/2 tbsp of fennel seeds
2-3 cardamon pods
1/2 cup corriander chopped.
2 large sweet onion chopped finely
1 bell pepper/capsicum chopped finely
1 medium sized tomato chopped
about 2 cups of milk I used 2%
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp chat masala
Salt according to taste
2 tbsp of oil
Ingredients for the gravy
1, Heat a pan add two tbsp of oil, when oil gets warm add ginger garlic paste and saute for about 20 secs.
2. Now add all the ingredients from the above picture.
3. Saute for about 30-40 sec , this will emit a strong fragrance.
4.Now add onions and saute for about a minute till they turn translucent.
5. Add bell pepper,tomato and salt and saute for about a minute or two.
6. Now transfer the above into a blender and add two cups of milk, I use my very faithful Vitamix, cannot tell you how much I love Vitamix. Add salt ,garam masala and chat masala and blend till it turns into a fine paste.
7. Now in the same pan that you sauted add tbsp of butter and transfer the mixture and allow it to come to a boil.
8. Set the gravy to thicken on medium heat.
9. Now deep fry the pototoes in oil in a seperate pan. Before frying prick potatoes with fork, this allows for gravy to be soaked well.
10, Remove the fried potates from heat and drop them into the gravy.
11. Allow the potatoes to be cooked in the gravy with closed lid for about 6-7 minutes on medium heat.
You can replace potatoes with Paneer and this turns into shahi paneer.
Remove from heat and garnish with corriander and optionally with cream and serve hot with naan's, roti's, Parata's or Poori's.
Remember we have few more days to donate for Vadehi Ashram so please head over and donate as much as you can.
I love going to bed thinking postive gives me energy for next day , saw this and had a contended smile on my face as I call it a day.