Here it is end of May and few more days school ends and its time to kick back and enjoy summer, looking forward to it. Work has been very very hectic last few months , but I am having fun doing what I like doing so no complaints !!!.
Today's post has been in drafts since last summer, time when my parents were visiting me. Miss them very much and wish I could spend the summer with them again.
Last summer my parents were in awe of the summer bounty in our yard especially Lemons and Oranges. Mom being mom immediately decided to make lemon pickle and they way she created made my jaw drop, out of box thinking I say.
I promise this would be the easiest and yummiest lemon pickle you would ever make, hardly takes 30 minutes to make, very simple and yet tastes out of the world and keep well for about 3-4 weeks when refrigerated.
4 medium yellow lemons cleaned and wiped dry
1/2 cup salt
1/2 red chilli powder
4 green chillies
1 tbsp tumeric
3 tbsp of oil
1 tbsp of Hing /Asafoetida
1 tbsp of Jeera/Cumin seeds
1 tbsp of Mustard seeds
3-4 whole red chilies
1/2 tbsp of fenugreek/methi powder (optional)
1. Cut the lemons into small cubes about an inch, leave the skin on and deseed .
2. Place them in a pressure cooker safe bowl, add salt ,tumeric and green chilies.
3. Add water just to cover the lemons about 1/2 cup.
4. Mix all the ingredients and allow to cook in a pressure cooker until three whistles.
5. Once done allow to cool and add red chilli powder and mix well.
6. Now heat a pan and add oil and when warm add all the ingredients for seasoning
7. Now add the pressure cooked lemon and mix well and allow to cook on simmer for about 6-8 minutes.
8. Adjust for salt and spiciness .
9. Remove from heat and allow to cool
10.Transfer to a jar with no moisture and relish !!!
Mom made several batches and it was promptly distributed to expectant mothers, neighbors and friends.
I have made twice since then and shared with friends and colleagues and it turned out just like mom's and folks loved it.
So give it a try and you will never go back to store brought EVER again.