Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tomato Rice - Easy and Delicious

This is my second post in a span of a week boy I have Mr.Time on my hand. Well can’t complain actually had half of last week off which truly was a blessing to recuperate and catch up after hectic few months. With husband and kids out of town I was really anxious about spending time alone at home and that’s when good KARMA kicked in.   Felt blessed being surrounded by friends and family who genuinely cared and made every effort to make sure that I am doing fine and invited me to their homes, fed me and made me feel so loved. Break was filled with dinners, lunches, home delivered brunch (yes I know I have rock star friends what can I say touch wood J) and catching up on movies and gossip sessions into the wee hours. I must have done something right in my previous life I say.

Last few years I have definitely changed as a person, made sure people close to heart and who are worth fighting for are cared and people who make me optional are treated the same. As we age I think we recognize the birds with same feathers and when we do we should consider ourselves blessed and hold on to them tight.

Anyways with kids and husband out of town realized I haven’t cooked for weeks and had ripe vine tomatoes lying in the fridge desperately calling for help. With that said decided to make tomato rice/ tomato baath, so here goes the recipe
Ingredients
2 ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup rice, I used Basmati rice today, can be substituted with regular rice or risotto 
1 onion sliced finely
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2-3 mint sprigs 
2-3 green chilies
1 star anise
2 cloves
1 pod of cardamon
about 2-3 inches tall cinnamon stick
2 tbsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp tumeric
salt according to taste
1/2 cup of cashew nuts
2 tbsp oil

Process
1.Heat a large pan with 2 tbsp of oil when oil gets warm add cloves,cinnamon stick, cardamon pod, ginger garlic paste, green chilies, pudina/mint  and cashew nuts.
2. Saute for few seconds until garlic is well cooked.
3. Now add sliced onions and saute for a minute, till onions turn translucent.
4. Add tumeric and chili powder and saute for few seconds
5. Not add diced tomatoes
6. Add Basmati rice and mix until rice grains are well coated.
7. Add salt and one cup of water and allow to cook for about 10 minutes on low flame.
11. Remove from heat and allow to cool for few minutes before you serve, this  allows for rice grains to be not mushed and stay separated and
12. Serve warm with Raita and it will be one delicious one pot meal.


Shared my meal with the lady who comes to help the one who has been doing so since a decade.

For now I cross my fingers on my heart and count my good KARMA and be thankful for my friends and family.

3 comments:

kitchen queen said...

tempting and inviting tomato rice.

Spandana said...

Yumm, it looks so bright and delicious. Loved the pics of ingredients!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com said...

Yum! Tomato rice is perfect this time of the year :)

 
Web Statistics