Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spagetti With Brussel Sprouts & Beans & To The World Of Explorers And Adventurers

Spagetti With Brussel Sprouts & Beans - Simple, Easy & Delicious


Fall my favorite season of the year is here, air is crisp and chill, leaves are turning color, days are getting shorter yet life seems to be getting busier. Hard to believe we are at the tail end of the year.
 
Last few weeks/weekends have been very hectic, there were classes I attended, courses I had to complete all this definitely took a toll but also squeezed in a weekend with friends to San Luis
Obispo a beautiful coastal town, which was a total blast. Chatted not stopped, hiked over the dunes to catch the waves, cooked and ate to hearts content and played cards till the wee hours. Friends sure are a blessing and I am thankful for my bounty.


Last week my eight year old and I were reading book together, I love when I cuddle up with the little one, he is a curious kid and loves to listen putting his head on my lap. These moments I cherish I wonder if he would be the same five years from now and still think it’s cool to listen to amma read with his head on my lap, wishful thinking I guess. But the end result of the book reading got me thinking ,it’s a book about extra ordinary adventurers and explorers for kids, has two page stories about greatest explorers starting from Hercules to as latest as Mae Jemison.
We read about 5th century Chinese explorer Hoei-shin who some argue was the first to discover America, as we were into the story I was thinking what is it in a person that pushes them to thread waters never threaded, discover places never explored, lead rather that follow given the perils and uncertainty of the surroundings. In an age of GPS and information overload where every turn is monitored and every move is directed and every action is predicted how do we keep with spirit of adventure, more importantly how do we nurture this spirit in kids. I grew up in a society with boundaries drawn, and I often see myself behaving the same with kids, like my parents I have their best intentions at heart. I want my kids to draw their own boundaries want them define their dream on their own yet fear giving them that freedom. Parenting I guess is a lesson you read and practice every day of your life till your last breath.

Taking about kids, Spaghetti is their absolute favorite, feed them any time of the day and they will eat without complaints. My recipe is very simple and I usually add whatever vegetables are available fresh in season and this time on it is Brussels sprouts and yellow beans.

Makes for about 3~4 servings
Takes 20 min

Ingredients
3~4 cups of Spaghetti cooked according to instructions
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
4~5 juiciest and ripest you can find, diced into cubes
½ tspn red pepper flakes
2 tbsp of Olive oil
1 cup of roasted Brussels sprouts and beans (optional)
Few sprigs of fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper according to taste
Process
1. Warm olive oil in a pan and add garlic, sauté for 30 seconds or so and then add crushed pepper flakes
2. Now add diced tomatoes and sauté for about a minute and now add salt and sauté for about a minute of two
3. Add basil leaves,Brussels sprouts and beans and toss well.
4. Add cooked spaghetti and toss till it well coated
5. Adjust for salt and pepper





Remove from heat and serve with grated cheese and a good loaf of bread. Here’s to my kids and for them to always have the spirit of adventure just like the super hero they worship Elon Musk.

3 comments:

Sreevalli E said...

Sounds yummy..

Madhavi said...

Nice recipe Sreelu. Long time how r u? Even with such a busy schedule you do manage to do new posts. Qudos!

After giving a break for Madhu's Vantalu, I recently started a new blog- http://thehealthyeats.blogspot.com/

roses said...

Loved the blog…
Rosesandgifts.com

 
Web Statistics