Mexican Rice Except It's Made With Quinoa And Healthy Wrap
Last week has been a strange one for me, experienced a wide range of emotions from extreme exhilaration to extreme sadness, life is so unpredictable with all its uncertainties. The highs one experiences when accomplishing something can be shadowed the next moment by something so unexpected. I had a presentation to be delivered and felt accomplished after completing successfully felt exhilarated but that moment was quite short lived. Came home and heard from my husband that his colleague’s wife was breathing her last and he went to visit him in the hospital only to find out that she passed away with cancer, at an age less than thirty with a two year old kid. I have never seen this lady nor my husband’s colleague but something made me sad very sad. I guess we all share a common thread of humanity and compassion and these strings when pulled it hurts. Strange as it sounds the same day morning while driving to work saw an accident with the motor cyclist on the ground. Can you imagine you wake up to a regular day and the next thing you know you are breathing last or worst bedridden. Well, when I cannot comprehend what happens and feel helpless only thing I do is go sit quiet in a temple asking for peace to the family and pray in hope to see the stranger motorist again on the road.
But then life moves on with its strange ups and down & high and lows. Coming to today's recipe made this during one of our camping trips and folks loved it, follows similar steps as Mexican rice but substituted Quinoa instead and made
Preparation time 10 min
Cooking time 30 min
1 cup Quinoa
2-3 tbsp Taco seasoning
1/2 tbsp garlic salt
2 tbsp 21 seasoning from Traders Joe (Substitute your choice of flavoring like dried onion powder, basil, rosemary seasoning etc)
1 cup of fresh cilantro
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2-3 tbsp fresh mint chopped finely
Salt according to taste
1. Bring two cups of water to full boil add a pinch of salt.
2. Now add quinoa and allow to cook for about 6~8 min till almost done and switch off the stove and cover the pot and leave it for about 10 min.
3. Now mix Quinoa with a folk gently this will fluff up and add volume to Quinoa.
4. Add taco seasoning,garlic salt, 21 seasoning salt and all the fresh ingredients and mix well, adjust for salt accordingly. You can also add lemon if you choose too.
Makes for a complete meal, fill up a pita bread or add veggies and make it a wrap makes for one happy contented meal.
1 pack of firm tofu
2 cups of peppers (Red,Green and Yellow) slit thin
1 large onion sliced thin
soyaki sauce from traders joe
1. Cut Tofu into 3 inch cubes and prick with fork, now place tofu in a ziploc bag and add generous amount of Soyaki sauce. Allow to marinate for an hours and if possible overnight.
2. Remove tofu from the bag and grill on both sides and slit into thin strips.
3. Heat a pan add about a tbsp of oil , now add onions,peppers and saute will these vegetables are cooked and then add salt and remaining Soyaki sauce from the tofu marinade.
I have used Lavash bread for the wrap today, spread the bread and add generous portion of Quinoa and now top with grilled peppers and onions and then tofu. Squeeze lemon juice or add Humus and roll the wrap.
Healthy delicious and very satisfying meal that keeps hunger pangs away.
Happy Dussera my dear readers, may there always be happiness and peace in your hearts and homes.