Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Spicy & Healthy White Beans Chaat- Curb Those Evening Cravings/Hunger Prangs

Spicy & Healthy Beans Chaat- Curb Those Evening Cravings/Hunger Prangs


Healthy snacking is a challenge, at the end of the day when I get home from work, I am a hungry puppy looking for food. The temptation to eat fried snacks or piece of cake with a cup of tea is very enticing. It's really hard to walk away from these temptations. Over the years I have learnt to curb or at least contain these temptations is to not buy or have these treats accessible easily, I figured if I see/have them where eye can see I end up eating them and then the guilt wave takes over. As they say necessity is the mother of invention, with no fried treats I was forced to look for alternatives. Last few years I have learnt to be cautious of what I eat and keep healthy snack choices like fruit, healthy bars, baked goods with whole grain, fresh carrots always available. This did help me to an extent and healthy snacking has become a part of my DNA. That said I do fall of the wagon once in a while and like everyone else inch back or try inching back :)

Of all the treats, Chaats are the hardest to let go, tempting Pani Poori or Bhel Poori makes me drool. I think what makes these so tempting are the complex and delicious flavors sweet, spicy, tangy, salty and the crunch adds to deliciousness.
Making chaats without fried Poori's is not that hard, it the flavors that makes these so tempting, now by replacing the fried stuff with healthy alternative you get best of both worlds delicious chaat and low fat and guilt free.


Made this healthy white bean chaat few weeks ago, simple, flavorful and totally customizable to your taste and did I say low fat

Ingredients
1 cup of white beans soaked overnight and pressure cooked for two whistles
1 red onion cubed finely
1/2 cup raw mango(optional)
1 tomato chopped finely
1 Jalepeno /green chili diced finely
1 cup fresh corriander chopped finely
tbsp of fresh mint
juice of one lemon/lime
For Chaat Masala's
2 tbsp of Chaat masala, I use MDH
tbsp of rock salt
1/2 tspn of jeera/dhania powder cumin/corriander(optional)
1/2 tspn of Amchoor or dry mango powder
1/2 tspn of red chili powder
and salt according to taste
Process
1. Remove beans from the pressure cooker and drain and pat them dry
2. Fry these beans in a tawa/fry pan without any oil for about 2 minutes tossing once in a while.
3.Now remove from heat and add to a bowl big enough to hold all fresh ingredients and convenient to toss.
4. Now add all fresh ingredients and then all dry masala's and give it a good toss.
5.Check for salt and adjust accordingly


Serve at room temperature and with a bowl of fresh juicy strawberries and enjoy a snack guilt free.
Hump day is almost over and so looking forward to the long weekend.


3 comments:

Madhavi K said...

Very nice recipe Sreelu! Will surely try it sometime.

Subhie Arun said...

very nice recipe dear...frst time here..fallen love with it...hapi to follow u..glad if u do the same..

http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.co.uk

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Simply yummy....

 
Web Statistics