"Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual."
– Mark Twain
It's start of the year and like many I am on Resolutions high, resolve to exercise regularly, eat healthy and stay healthy. My weight scale is pretty evident of the all the parties, dinners and pigging out that happened for the last few weeks. Its time to cleanse, get organized and get back on track.
Weather is the bay area is still very cold, when I say cold I mean by California standards. Cold weather call for warm and comfort food and hence my soup recipe today. Heart, healthy, warm, spicy and delicious.
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup cubed yellow carrot
1/2 cup cubed red/violet carrots
1/2 shredded brussel sprouts
1/3 cup frozen red bell pepper ( since I did not have fresh one)
1/2 cup shredded leeks
1/2 green onion finely chopped
1 cup canned white beam
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cups of vegetable broth optionally you can add water
1/3 tsp of oregano
1/3 tsp paprika
1/2 tbsp of pesto
1/3rd cup milk
1 tbsp of olive oil or butter
This soup can be made with your choice of vegetables and dressings, you could use diced potato, shredded cabbage, finely chopped kale/spinach or other green. Recipe is very versatile change it up according to your taste and add your choice of flavorings.
1. Heat oil/butter in a pot big enough to hold about 5 cups of water, when hot add garlic and crushed pepper flakes and saute for few minutes.
2. Now add leeks, carrots, brussel sprouts, bell pepper and all the vegetables along with white beans.
3. Fill the pot with either broth or water.
4. Add seasonings and salt
5. Simmer for about half an hour, mixing in between.
6. Check to see if carrots and other vegetables are done.
7. Add a tbsp of pesto or any other dressing of your choice and milk as well.
8. Allow to cook for about 6 to 8 minutes
9. Remove from heat and garnish with Parsley and cilantro.
Serve hot with sourdough bread or some croutons.
As they say the greatest of the joy comes from the simplest of things. Healthy and simple foods equals healthy mind.
Here is wishing everyone a happy and a healthy new year.