Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Celebrating 8th Blogversary With Vanilla Almond Biscotti

Celebrating 8th Blogversary With Vanilla Almond Biscotti 

Past month was my blog's 8th birthday, quite a milestone I say. Blogging truly changed my world. I remember when I decided to blog it was mostly to chronicle what I ate and this journaling opened up my world to eating better, being conscious about quality of food than quantity, exposed me to people and food around the world and presented me with options of eating healthier and becoming a better person inside out. There is no looking back since then. Blogging also allowed to develop my love for photography and provided an outlet for my creativity. The joy of cooking, composing a picture and posting a blog post is truly gratifying, brings a sense of accomplishment every time single time. 

There were many a times I was ridiculed for blogging and commented and made fun of, what I realized with my journey of blogging is, it does not matter what others say or the fact they make fun, what matters is are you having fun doing what you like and are you learning something new. Nothing gets me more excited than having a chance to learn something new and over years my worst critiques become my best ones. You just have to stay the course, a life lesson learnt from blogging. 

As they say when you love what you do it's never work and blogging for me is my space, my escape, my relaxation and my hobby.

Wanted to make something special to celebrate blog milestone and here is today's recipe, a direct adaptation from America's Test Kitchen's Almond Biscotti, Recipe is a copy from the original site. You can check out the video here as well.

Makes 30 cookies

The almonds will continue to toast while the biscotti bake, so toast the nuts only until they are just fragrant.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 cups (6 1/4 ounces) whole almonds, lightly toasted
1 3/4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, plus 1 large white beaten with pinch salt
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vegetable oil spray
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Using ruler and pencil, draw two 8 by 3-inch rectangles, spaced 4 inches apart, on piece of parchment paper. Grease baking sheet and place parchment on it, ink side down.

2. Pulse 1 cup almonds in food processor until coarsely chopped, 8 to 10 pulses; transfer to bowl and set aside. Process remaining 1/4 cup almonds in food processor until finely ground, about 45 seconds. Add flour, baking powder, and salt; process to combine, about 15 seconds. Transfer flour mixture to second bowl. Process 2 eggs in now empty food processor until lightened in color and almost doubled in volume, about 3 minutes. With processor running, slowly add sugar until thoroughly combined, about 15 seconds. Add melted butter, almond extract, and vanilla and process until combined, about 10 seconds. Transfer egg mixture to medium bowl. Sprinkle half of flour mixture over egg mixture and, using spatula, gently fold until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture and chopped almonds and gently fold until just combined.



3. Divide batter in half. Using floured hands, form each half into 8 by 3-inch rectangle, using lines on parchment as guide. Spray each loaf lightly with oil spray. Using rubber spatula lightly coated with oil spray, smooth tops and sides of rectangles. Gently brush tops of loaves with egg white wash. Bake until loaves are golden and just beginning to crack on top, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.


4. Let loaves cool on baking sheet for 30 minutes. Transfer loaves to cutting board. Using serrated knife, slice each loaf on slight bias into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay slices, cut side down, about 1/4 inch apart on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crisp and golden brown on both sides, about 35 minutes, flipping slices halfway through baking. Let cool completely before serving. Biscotti can be stored in airtight container for up to 1 month.



At the end of the day my greatest reward for blogging will be when my kids and hopefully their kids one day get a chance understand and know the kind of person I was through my this digital food journal.

So thank you all my readers, friends and family. I know how precious and valuable time is and I am truly grateful for your time you spend on my blog.Here is to many many more blogversaries !!!

7 comments:

Bharathy said...

Lovely shots, sreelu! Wishing you many more blogging years!
Very well written post!

Rafeeda AR said...

the biscottis look awesome... 8 years of blogging is not small... hearty congrats...

Siri said...

Wishing you a very Happy Blog-o-anniversary Sree. :-) blogging truly challenges our creativity, helps us grow and be conscious about what we eat. Isn't it?

Cheers to many more years of cooking and sharing,
Siri

nandoos Kitchen said...

yummy biscotti and nice clicks. Nice post to celebrate this wonderful occassion

Madhavi K said...

Congrats Sreelu! A big warm hug to you for celebrating your 8th yr in the blogging world. I have always enjoyed your space from the beginning. My mom always asks me if sreelu has posted any new recipes. Your mom and my mom used to meet quite often when they were in Delhi!

Angie Schneider said...

Happy Blog Anniversary!
Your bisoctti look so beautifully done, so are those photos.

Anonymous said...

this awesome blog kindly send some different idea
email:tony@q8living.com

 
Web Statistics