Spicy Mexican Dirty Rice - Loaded With Vegetables
Eating healthy is life style and a choice. In fact eating healthy is hard and take quite an effort. From shopping for fresh vegetables to cooking fresh food is work. As tedious as it seems once you are committed to eating healthy there is no going back. It's worth the effort as they say..
Last few weeks have been crazy and the next few weeks will not differ much. Tried this recipe few weeks and everyone at home loved it and this has become quite a staple at home. This recipe can customized to your taste, add as many vegetables you like to your hearts content. Recently started cooking brown rice at home more frequently and brown rice is perfect for it makes for excellent texture and taste.
1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper
2-3 Picante peppers
1 Onion sliced thin
2 garlic cloves finely minced
1 cup of green onion chopped
1/2 cup of cooked beans ( I used pinto beans from the can)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional, substitute with nuts of your choice almonds, peanuts pecans) finely chopped
tbsp of Olive oil
1 cup brown rice
salt according to taste
pepper according to taste
2 tbsp Mexican seasoning (I use Taco seasoning McCormick, recipe for the same can be found here)
1. Cut all vegetables same size into thin strips
3. Add 1/2 tbsp of oil and bring to heat, add crushed garlic and toss till garlic is cooked. Now add rice and mix well. Add water according to instructions and allow to cook.
3. Stir fry all the vegetables and keep aside
4. Head a pan, add all the stir fried vegetables and saute for a min
5. Add cooked rice, green onions, taco seasoning, nuts and cilantro. Toss till rice and vegetables are well coated, check and adjust for salt.
Makes for healthy, guilt free, delicous and a complete meal.